Today, I wrote down a list of my “commandments.” These are the ideals in which I most strongly believe at this point in my life. I know that if I live according to them, happiness, satisfaction, and peace of mind will follow. I encourage anyone who reads this to attempt the same exercise.
Without further adieu, here’s my list:
1. Always remain courageous, especially in the face of adversity.
2. Treat people with the kindness and respect that they deserve.
3. Strive for excellence in all aspects of life.
4. Consciously give thanks every day for your gifts and blessings.
5. Stay true to who you are, and do what you love to do.
6. Work harder than you think you can.
7. Failure is feedback. Learn from every mistake.
8. Always make time for family and friends. Be a good son, brother, and friend.
9. Never stop learning.
10. Appreciate beauty every day.
11. Actively cleanse your mind of frivolous worry or negative thoughts.
12. Everything is going to be alright. Breathe, relax.
13. Happiness is not attached to any material possession. It comes from within.
14. Sleep 9-10 hours per night. Your body needs it.
15. Stay organized and be clean. A cluttered space leads to a cluttered mind.
16. Music is a glimpse of divinity. Listen, sing, dance.
17. Fear nothing.
18. Love everything.
19. If it is meant to be, it will be.
20. Travel to new places. Try new things. Push yourself out of your comfort zone.
21. Seek out thrilling experiences. Have fun.
22. Write often, and read more often.
23. Help people who are less fortunate than you.
24. Exercise every day.
25. Never regret. It isn’t sensible to brood over that which you cannot change.
26. Stay optimistic. Think positive thoughts. React positively to good and bad fortune.
27. Humor is a defense mechanism. Laughter is medicine. Laugh often.
28. Live in the present moment. It is all that we have.
29. Dream big.
30. Sieze greatness.
31. Leave the world a better place than you found it.